Saturday 26 October 2013

I read and I like Saturday...with me...

The lovely Jorja Lovett was due to be here today, but has writing to get on with, so she's posponed her post. And well, as I love her work, I agreed of course. So I've nipped in instead.

Sorry folks... anyway...




Here's my I read amd I like offering...

I was lucky enough to grow up in a house where books were the norm. My mum and dad read to me, I learned to read, we read together. Then I read, and read and well you get the picture. Enid Blyton, Malory Towers, Elinor M. Brent-Dyer The Chalet School series, The Bobsey Twins ( forget who wrote those) and the great Arthur Ransome and his Swallows and Amazon series. All devoured. Then Books like Ring of Bright Water, and Tarka the Otter.

I lost my way a bit when we had to dissect books at school. No thanks, and sadly it piut me off the classics for ever. I still don't like Jane Austen, The Bronte's, Dickens etc.

But one book from my schooldays stopped with me for ever, and I have my very own tattered copy of ... The Sheltand Bus. The story of how Norwegian fishermen sailed their boats to the Sheltands in WW2 and became a survival route for people who needed to escape. Those men were true heroes. (I've gone goose bumpy thinking of that story.) And as a perfect addition to it, around 12 years ago, I was in a pub in Scotland with DH, and sat next to an elderly getleman and his wife. We got talking and he said they were on their way back from Shetland, where he'd worked in the war. I mentioned the Shetland Bus, and wow he'd been one of the UK naval personnel who worked in that top secret environment. Talk about a fan girl moment. He was amazed I'd heard of it let alone got his fellow officer's book.

So to today, I love all sorts of books, romance, mystery, biographies and travel. I don't like nasties or real scares, so sci fi and horror are not on my bookshelf or Kindle. Apart from that? Well since I started writing I've dicsovered so many fantastic authors. I'd say if you want to discover an author, check out a publishers site  and see what free books they offer. Do the blog hops, and please please... ( yes off point but got to be said) don't use pirate sites. We don't make a lot per book anyway, and if ou worked it out on an hourly rate, very few of us would be anywhere near te minimum wage. But if you steal a book, we make even less. And it is stealing...

So what I don't like? Stolen books lol


Just say NO....

1 comment:

  1. Wow how great is that that you met that man! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete