Monday 27 March 2017

The Gluten-Free Author's guide to goodies—or not

Today it is both... Yeah sorry...


Goodies, high fives and greatness to supermarket chains, and food producers for the way they have embraced gluten free goodies, and basics for that matter and making it a lot easier to find food to eat. 
Now before I get heckled and told to go natural, and cook from scratch, most of the time I do. But even then you need stuff...like stock cubes, (yes I know make it from scratch...but every time? Not going to happen), bread...ditto. Have you ever tired to make gluten free bread? Don't bother. Especially as you can even buy freshly baked bread and rolls in some supermarkets now. And croissants. (I was going to post a picture, but um I ate them, sorry.)

Things like soy sauce, brown sauce, (am I getting too saucy?) and any other sauces that were not normally g-f have sprung up shelved boldly in the g-f aisle. No more hunting rows and rows to find that one elusive brand you know is g-f anyway, unless like me you do it because of....

the or not...

So where's the or not bit?

The prices... oh grief, the prices. I hate going shopping with hubby, who looks at my pack(s) of two small croissants at £2 a pack, my tiny loaf at £2.50 and my orange and sultana fruit loaf at gulp £3.50, to name but a few bits. 

And lets face it, one of life's small pleasures are bacon rolls and toast.. Or even just looking at bread and wondering what you'll treat yourself to...

Okay it might not look much to you, but to me it is 'normal'.

Therefore I ignore the prices as best I can, and into the trolley goes the bread etcetera. Hubby looks somewhat shocked, and no wonder. Glutenised stuff would be around half price I reckon. I don't look, it would just depress me. To me and a lot of others To go gluten free is not a lifestyle choice. It's a necessity, health-style choice. Or should that be non choice?

I know that to make g-f food is more expensive. Not just the ingredients and the number of ingredients needed to make say a loaf of bread, but also the conditions, the special machinery, etcetera. I understand that, I really do. My purse doesn't though.

Anyway, It's a definitely thumbs up to those shops, be them big little or somewhere in between, who are doing their best to make my life easier.                                                  (Pic Pinterest)

I love baking...I can get the flour I need. I want a biscuit that I haven't made...Nip to the g-f aisle.                               
Even better is the labelling these days. That's a big thank you to manufacturers. I don't spend three hours trolling through every ingredient. I look for those in bold.

And on that note, I'm off to make coffee and indulge in a slice of fruit cake. Home made gluten free of course.

Happy, eating,

love Raven x


No comments:

Post a Comment